Skip to main content

Re-discovering Lin Yutang

It was a perfectly useless afternoon – like the one that Lin Yutang urges you to spend in a ‘perfectly useless’ manner. The chilly winter breeze of Northern India and its accomplice the dense soupy fog had made commutation redundant and I was confined to stay at home.

It was then that I turned to my old bookshelf, rummaged some of the lesser accessed shelves and blew away dust from atop some of the volumes and made a nice pile on the center table. I had read some of these works partly earlier a long time ago, and the others I had kept for leisure reading. It was like meeting a handful of school friends once again after years – not at the planned alumni meeting, but while you are out shopping your week’s supplies – by sheer chance.

I pulled out a mid-sized volume with a yellow cover that shows a man playing flute by the river and a few others listening to him, leisurely resting on the nearby rocks and trees. It was ‘The Importance of Living’ by Lin Yutang – a work I had discovered in a guest house during my travels in the Champavat region. It was a really old one. It said that it was published in 1938, and reprinted in India in 1966. I kept looking at the printed price – 5 rupees!

Lin Yutang may have other works like ‘My Country and My People’ to his credit and those that could be considered his claim to fame, but the one I was holding in my hand is an immortal gem nonetheless. Equipped with a kettle-full of supply of warm tea to go with the reading, I spread leisurely to commune once again with this great thinker and writer – and completely lost the track of time.

Time and again I felt like getting up and dancing around the room. Now and then I was laughing loudly. If one of the principle purposes of a book is to make you feel happy about life – this work stands the test truly, and over and over again. Just take a look at some of the titles of the essays – ‘On having a stomach’, ‘The importance of loafing’, ‘On tea and friendship’, ‘On rocks and trees’, ‘The art of reading’, ‘The problem of happiness’, ‘On having a mind’ – you can just read the titles of the essays and feel good.

I am not going to write any critical review of the book - at least not just yet- nor am I going to quote from the work. It is a breath of fresh and fragrant air, and it must be enjoyed first hand. It is not a bedside book, as one of the reviewers have mentioned on the first page. It is something that you grow old with.

I am glad I have found an old and wise, yet very charming and slightly mischievous, friend in Dr. Lin.


Best
- Shreekant
5th January 2011

Comments

  1. Interesting. I check the hardcover imported edition here. INR 2500+ !! Sad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Started reading this. Indeed good.. Thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kayn, nice pseudo name! ... Cybernetics huh? How you doing post Sitel?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shreekant, just saw your comment. blogspot doesn't email you when you are pinged.. shud learn from Facebook ;-)

    About the pseudoname.. nah. It's only Kay (K as in pay, day, etc.) and N for my last name. :-)

    I am doing fine, very interesting experiences.. So far so good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Should I Read?

Like one of Douglas Adam's characters in the Dirk Gently series, I truly believe that the time spent in commuting is better spent in doing something worthwhile, so you can multitask. And just like the fellow in the story used to record his thoughts on a tape recorder and then have his steno type them out for him later - here is an attempt to write a post through a dicta-phone while driving from Delhi to Gurgaon and then converting it to text. Many times my students and other people ask - what should I read. What should one read? .. A lot of times I give some perfunctory answer and let that question pass. Or sometimes I give a very generic response to this question. But mostly I am not very comfortable when confronted with this kind of a question. And although I have always had this sense of discomfort, I was not sure why it was so. Recently, again, one of the students asked this question, and I decided to think a little bit more about it. Now when I started thinking about it,

Doing what you like and Getting paid for it

It is one thing for people to say 'do what you like and get paid for it, so that every day at office will feel like a vacation'. It is quite another to actually find a profession that you are passionate about. Most of us spend our lives in writing software, or sending invoices - or most likely - writing software for sending invoices. In effect, we usually spend days in writing emails, making phone calls, and attending meetings. There are reasons for this. Firstly, most people do not know what they are passionate about most of the time. Ask any person, especially the one who is preparing for a job interview or for an MBA entrance exam, and pat comes the grammatically incorrect reply: "listening music". Whoever invented this phrase deserves to be in the list of Nobel laurets. This is the most you can get without giving any real information or even any real thought to the question - what do you like to do? I mean, what kind of music? -- Any kind! -- Any specific genr